Friday, November 13, 2009

The Broken Ankle

*Somehow this story got told today and it made me laugh; therefore, I thought I would share it with you*
It was a nice, wintry day in January (1999 - yes, 10 whopping years ago). My friend, Chrissy Gisbson was with me. *Note: Chrissy was the epitome of bad luck. I should have known better.*
We decided to grab our cheap, plastic, blue sleds and head up to the mountain behind the Compton's house. *Note: This hill was the location of multiple sledding injuries, including a body cast.*
As we flew down the hill, over jumps and embracing the white, fluffy snow we were 2 girls having the time of our lives. The afternoon was fading away quickly and we decided to make one last run---this time from the top of the hill. It was going to be the baddest, most awesome run of the day. We hiked to the top, paused to catch our breath, then sat on the sled- Gibson in front, McCullough on back.
We must have been clocking 50 mph. We were racing down that hill at an incredible pace. The next thing I know, we hit a jump and she flies to the left while I fly forward (like Superman). As I smacked into the snow, I landed between some rocks and then I heard a pop! I layed there, dumbfounded at what had just happened. Questions ran through my head: Am I hurt? Where do I hurt? What's going on?
Chrissy comes running over as reality hits that I truly am hurt. I remember mumbling "Owwww!" Gibson thought I broke my neck. *Note: at this point I realize it's my right ankle.* I knew I couldn't move, especially hike down the rest of the mountain. I tell Chrissy to go get help. She leaps through the snow like a gazelle and gets Marilyn and Dan Compton. Poor Dan has to carry me back to their house. By this point I am freaking out knowing something is terribly wrong. Their mother is a nurse so with one glance at the massive swelling and contorted ankle, she knows it's broken. She takes me to my house down the street. This is what follows:
------
Nurse Debbi: "I think you need to go to the ER. This is broken."
Dad: "Ah, she'll be okay. It's just a bad sprain."
Mom: "Tom, I think she's really hurt."
--nurse leaves--
--I get propped up on the Lazy Boy recliner with a blanket--
Me: "This hurts really bad!"
Dad: "Shake it off, you'll be fine."
Me: Crying alligator tears
Dad: "Stop crying! That won't make it better!"
Mom: "Tom, we need to go to the ER!"
--This continued for the next 10-15 minutes--
------
Finally we arrive at the ER. Doc takes one look at the battle wound and concludes, "Yep, it's broken alright. Let's take you to x-ray."
*Note: not only was it broke, it was busted in 3 places, thus needing surgery the next day to put a pin in to hold it all together so it would heal.*
Moral of the story:
1. Don't hang out with Chrissy Gibson (something bad will happen)
2. Don't go sledding on Sunday (that's the Sabbath!)
3. Sometimes a father's "tough love" scheme doesn't work so well when something really is broken.
4. Having a broken ankle sucks (especially when you fall multiple times using your crutches and look like a big moron)
5. Blue plastic sleds are NOT user friendly

8 comments:

Manda Jane Clawson said...

What a sad story!! I do think you need to share the body cast one now too tho

Doug and Marilyn said...

hahaha! Oh what a great time that was!! There was a serious perk...you got an elevator key!! WHOOOP!! I love ya Lynds and will never forget that!

Nate said...

I remember when you did that!! How sad!! WOW 10 years ago!! That is crazy!! Hey me and some people are going to see the nut cracker on December 12th in the evening in SLC. Come with us if you want. We are going to buy tickets this week and we have to purchase them all together so we can sit by each other. I think they are about $20 per person. Let me know

KymandKalab said...

I had no idea you had done that! And you still danced beautifully... and run marathons on it. Wow. It must have healed nicely!

The Peterson's said...

Funny and sad all at the same time!

Unknown said...

Chrissy always did have trouble following her...maybe cuz she was trouble ;)! I remember that. You totally gotta tell the body cast story! lol! We had such an exciting childhood!

Ryan Kelli and Clara said...

I remember all too well when that happened! Ah, memories.

Bill Compton said...

You forgot to say that Crissy was just hysterical. The kind where you can get slapped to stop acting that way! I mean she was something! Gotta love that girl! I remember I wanted to put a sock on your foot cuz it was so cold out and you didn't go for that! There was never a dull moment!!!! Debbi