First and foremost, Lyndsay is ALIVE from the marathon!! For my first marathon, I had only a slight idea of what to expect--mostly from talking to other people who have accomplished the 26.2 mile run. I was really calm and only worried about my left leg/knee since it had been injured really bad when I pulled my iliotibial band. We got to St. George about 7pm Friday night and went straight to packet pickup to get my number and timing chip. Then we went back to our timeshare and relaxed, then off to bed. Saturday morning I woke up on time (thank goodness) and got ready. Ty dropped me off at the bus loading station and away I went to the starting line. It was a long, dark bus ride and I quote from the guy sitting behind me, "I think they're taking us to a concentration camp!" Imagine a mass of people (roughly 8,000) in the middle of nowhere and port-a-pottys lined up as far as the eye can see with huge flood lights all around you. Yep, here was the starting line alright. After a few minutes of stretching it was time to start. I couldn't believe it. Before I knew it, I was off running! Everything was going great, I felt like my pace was right on track. At the half-way point (mile 13) I was just slightly over 2 hours... about where I wanted to be. I was still running until mile 19 and then... BAM. I feel the exact pain I felt in my left leg when I pulled my IT band but only in my right leg now. As I slowed to a walk, I was dumbfounded. Could this really be happening? I was soooo worried about my left leg that I must have over-compensated on my right. The last 7 miles were pure torture. It took forever to complete those last miles. I would run until I felt like I was going to scream an obscenity and then start walking. But, 4 hours and 50 minutes later I crossed the finish line! It felt awesome. I was so happy Tyler and my friend Jess were there to greet me. I am disappointed that I finished about 45 minutes later than I wanted to, but realize that it was my first and I can't control my body getting injured. I will just have to do another one! Here's some pics.....
*****************************
*****************************
Right before loading the bus
Finally Finishing!
My #1 Fan :)
______________________________________________
We also got to chill by the pool at our condo and made it over to the beautiful St. George Temple
We even got to stop in Cedar City and see my long time friend & her family! We miss you guys!!

11 comments:
You are FREAKIN AMAZING! I am so proud of you girl! PS- I bet it was great to see Lindsey and her fam! What a cute pic! and PSS- We really need to get together...it has been tooooo long!
Did you ever know that you're my hero?!?!
Yay Lyndsay!!!! You ROCK!!!!
Way to go lynds!! Glad you made it to the finish!! How are those knees doin?
Good job girlfriend!!! Soooo proud of you!!
so glad i got to be apart of your amazing accomplishment. I'm seriously so proud of you! you did amazing. and although your OTHER knee was acting up, you held it together and finished like a CHAMP.
so glad I got to spent the time with you too. My family loved you guys!
That is amazing. I don't think I will ever try a marathon. But that is just fabulous. Way to go Lyndz!!!
Yeah for Lyndsay! I think you are entirely just driven! And you want to go back?! I love it! Hope your knee is doing better. How was Veyo (or whatever that volcano is called)? You did it!
Sherilyn
king king kong king king
I'm so excited for you, despite the lame knee problems. A girl I work with has the same problems and has to wear knee braces/straps when she runs...do you use anything like that? Seriously, I am jealous and extremely motivated to keep running after reading about your races! CONGRATS ON THE RUN!! :)
yay for lynds! good job im so impressed! i cant believe you still got that good of a time even after you got hurt!! way to go gena sista!
I happened across your blog from Jared and Valerie's and I saw all the races you had done. I'm training to, ultimately, do a full marathon this fall and I'd really be interested in hearing about your experiences and how you prepped. It's almost an overwhelming feeling to set such a goal, so it'd be cool to get a perspective from someone who has completed 5K-marathon. I'd appreciate any tips or advice!
aelucius@gmail.com
Thanks!
Post a Comment