Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Worst Enemy = The Dentist

I would reckon that most people have an enemy --- Iraq, someone who teased them in school, Hitler... you get the point. Yesterday as I sat in the dentist chair for three times longer than I should have, I realized THIS IS MY WORST ENEMY! Maybe it's because I have had to visit numerous dental offices more in the last 365 days than in my whole life, or maybe because I hate having hands in my mouth, or maybe because everything tastes disgusting, or maybe because I always gag, or maybe because I hate the sound drills make, or maybe because I hate pain in my mouth.... do you get the point yet?
So I get to the dentist yesterday to have a simple procedure done: cementing a crown. No biggie! Then, the "newbie" sits down. By newbie I mean some guy fresh out of dental school. With palms a little sweaty from being nervous, I decide to trust him that he can do this. After 10 minutes pass of him trying to get my crown to fit on my tooth, the trust fades away slowly. Really? Should it be taking this long? With several more tries, a painful jaw from opening wide, and even trying to shape the crown, it still doesn't fit. Side note: the crown slipped from his hands while he was trying to place it, and I almost swallowed it.
Unsuccessful, the newbie grabs the other dentist. It takes him several tries too, and he's being pretty rough. Sometimes I can't hold in my thoughts and I finally let out, "Okay that hurts! You guys should be able to get this on with no problem if you took the impression correctly. This is why I HATE THE DENTIST!" The look on their faces was priceless. But oh, no, I'm not done. Finally he got it to fit. Then comes the worst taste in my mouth I've ever experienced. I imagine it's what battery acid would probably taste like. I start gagging and then I hear the dentist yell to the newbie, "aspirate" and I get sprayed with water everywhere as they try to flush the nasty taste out. However, the combination of a bucket of water in my mouth and gross taste makes me want to throw up. I burst, "sit me up!" As I force myself to not be too dramatic and throw up everywhere. Instead, I asked for some Listerine and a sink. See, this is why I rightfully concluded the dentist is my worst enemy. The End.

9 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Your story is that of legend. Why is it that there is always a "newbie". Cathi had a newbie last night that shot her with a needle and totally bruised her arm all up. Of course, she probably shouldn't have been shooting up heroine in the first place.

(Just kidding, she was really giving to the Red Cross.)

Great story though - very descriptive description of throwing up.

Ash said...

LOL, Lynds! That was freaking classic. ASPIRATE!!! Maybe you should come to my dentist. He's so nice and good. Jesse switched over to him too. Seems like you have had some issues with teeth people lately. Reear, you let them have it.

rachael said...

Yikes! I have to go and now you've given me ten more reasons to not go! I can just picture you giving them all attitude, how funny! I bet they're still talking about it!

Ryan Kelli and Clara said...

That's why I hate the dentist too! Too bad 3 of my brother-in-laws are in that industry...I feel for you! Love ya!

Jaimin said...

I don't think I know a person who actually likes going to the dentist. I feel you with the whole crown thing. :P That stuff does taste nasty, and I got a nice shower, all over my face as well. It took them a few tries to get my impression (pre getting the crown) and my jaw hurt sooo badly from clenching my teeth together. :P I don't like dentists.

Anonymous said...

First I heard this story when we were at dinner together. Now I read it on your blog. It really does get funnier each time. I hate the dentist too. Here's to having healthy teeth and never having to go back to that newbie!

Korey and Lindsey said...

I am so sorry that you have such bad luck at the dentist. Lol I hate them too but I would hate them alot more if I was in your shoes.

tutus n bowties said...

HA! The dentist became my worst enemy when I started teething. I think for me it's more of the noise that comes from his drill that leaves me with nightmares. So sorry for you experience!

Gardner said...

That totally sucks. You don't have luck with the Dentist.